Sunday, April 19, 2015

Down Under Part 11...The 80 Degree Temperature Drop Home


Did you know the distance between Hawaii and Idaho in November is not so much a distance as it is a temperature. 80 degrees to be exact. Yuck! So to recap we woke up in New Zealand Saturday morning, spent the whole day there, left New Zealand about midnight Saturday night/Sunday morning, flew for about 9 hours and landed in Hawaii Saturday morning. I have officially time traveled back in time. Longest Saturday of my life.

When we got to Hawaii we went to the rental car place since we had about 12 hours before our flight to Las Vegas. Once we got our car from the annoying car rental place that doesn't listen we went and got lunch again at the shrimp place. It was good enough to go twice. Then we went to the famous Ted's Bakery. I had the best pie ever called Chocolate Hupia Pie. I wish I could have it once a week. We then went to the beach to lounge for a bit. We played in the ocean and laid in the sun. It was glorious.

I had hoped that Bri would have forgotten about the dang free cd she got a coupon for on the way there. She didn't. So I told her we could go get the dang thing. It was back in my favorite city (not) of Waikiki. It took forever to drive there and find a parking spot. She got the cd and then we had dinner. Dinner was yummy and that's where I checked the weather. At that point it was night there and dark out which means the temperature had dropped since our beach time earlier. It was 79 in Hawaii at that time and a whopping 0 back in Idaho Falls. I thought about missing my plane. But alas I missed my bed so we headed back to the airport. By the way the parking to get the *free* cd was $8 and my sanity. Not so free. And I'm fairly certain Bri did not enjoy the cd so much. Whatevs. Good story now right? We made it to the airport, got our last bit of food since our gate was in Hawaiian Siberia, and flew home. I sat in front of someone who probably had Ebola or a really bad cough, one of the two. I sorta slept and we landed Sunday morning in Las Vegas.

When we got to Las Vegas we had to once again collect our bags. Bri's bag was high stacked on the conveyer belt and she missed it so I jumped for it. Well when I grabbed it I held on tight and the conveyer belt took me with it. I was weak from the possible Ebola/cough from the guy behind me. I've always wanted to ride the baggage claim, but not like that. Bri got a kick out of it though so it was all worth it. We ate breakfast and waited for our flight from Vegas to Salt Lake. We were exhausted. The plane got there and we made it back to Salt Lake around noon Sunday.

We had one last leg of our journey to Idaho Falls. The dreaded shuttle ride. Imagine if you will what we looked like. We hadn't showered since our first Saturday that week probably close to 72 hours ago, we had gone to the beach in Hawaii, swam in the ocean, and had been on 3 plane rides. We were gross. I wore my shirt from Bondi Beach in the hopes that people would realize I came from a beach and not from the gutter. The shuttle ride went fine and we made it back around 5pm on Sunday night. It was freezing of course and there was snow on the ground. It was nice to be home in my own bed but I admit I left a bit of my heart back in New Zealand. It was an amazing unforgettable trip of a lifetime. #blessed...seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment