Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Down Under Part 4 I Get to Hug a Koala



Nothing of consequence happened while we were waiting for our flight to Australia except I got some Acai from a guy who didn't understand me and added the wrong toppings.  Life goes on.  We got on the plane, took some selfies, slept, ate some butter, I had the most delicious milk I've ever tasted, and then we filled out more forms...yeah.  We were flying LAN and their instructions were all in spanish.  They fed us so I liked them.

We got into Sydney pretty early in the morning.  I think around 8am their time which is 10am New Zealand time and 2pm Idaho time (the previous day).  It was Friday and we had all that day and all day Saturday.  The first thing we did after we got our baggage was get a shuttle to our "hotel".  So all 7 of us get on this shuttle and then two other girls probably around our age came on as well.  When we told the driver that we were staying at the Ibis right next to Kings Cross one of the girls laughed and explained that was the red light district.  After seeing the guys in Sydney...sign me up.  And honestly the area wasn't that bad.  We got to check into our two rooms early that day.  Each room had 4 beds (2 bunks) and a small bathroom that basically was also a shower at the same time.  So if someone showered the whole floor got wet.  I can't complain too much.  I was just happy to be in Sydney and really didn't spend that much time in the "hotel" anyway.  I'd stay there again...

We left our hotel and walked to Kings Cross train (subway) station and rode way way out (ok maybe it wasn't really that far) of the city.  On the way everyone fell for a marketing ad of orange soda.  Then we got off at the Pennant Hills station and then took a bus to the Koala Park Sanctuary (future me:  They only take cash.).  I was a little worried for a bit when we had to switch to a bus.  I'll say I'm pretty good at subway maps, but not bus ones.  Well we made it in time for the Koala feeding which was why I wanted to go there anyway...so I could hug that koala.  They chatted for a minute about it and then the trainer lady took one off its little tree and set it out so people could touch it.  I went through the line and got my picture petting it and stuff, then a guy after me actually cuddled with it and I had to do that too of course so I went through the line again.  This time I fully hugged/cuddled the koala.  Loved it!!  Then we went and fed some kangaroos and played with them.  We walked around the rest of the park to see the other not so advertised animals including a cool parrot that said, "hello" "bye-bye" and "Want a cracker".  When we left there we were supposed to go to the temple, but everyone was tired and hungry including me and we honestly just didn't know how to get there by bus.

We headed back into the city to the Town Hall train stop.  We ate lunch there in this little underground mall thing.  I had lamb kabobs.  I ate so much lamb on this trip.  It was yummy.  We walked around this pretty church that was unfortunately closed.  It had gorgeous purple trees all around it.  In fact all of Sydney had these purple trees.  I think they are jacarda? trees.  At this point some people went back to take a rest at the "hotel" and a few of us went to find Laduree at the Westfield mall.  Of course I had to spend way too much on a little box of pretentious macaroons, but considering they have very few stores all over the world I didn't mind.  And the cookies were good.  A couple other people left to go back to the "hotel" at this point, but me and Bri stayed so she could grab something quick.  We got it and decided to walk back rather than take a train.  It was a lovely day and sunny.  Plus when we walked through Hyde park there was a weirdo getting his picture taken.  Well worth seeing that.  We walked down some small pretty streets, pretty sure we walked through a pot breeze, and made it safely back to our "hotel".  (Side note:  I LOVED that park.  It reminded me of a small version of central park.  I wish I had that park to walk in every day...with that weather.)

After a couple hours of getting ready Caryn, Erin, Kristina, Sarah, Liz, and I walked to Capitol Theater to go see Wicked!  Everyone was so excited.  I was the only one who had seen it before of that group.  On our way we found another set of missionaries getting some pizza.  They asked if we were coming to game night?  Nope, but if I lived there I would.
We walked around the theater and the shop when we got there.  I tried on some sweet sunglasses and we passed out the tickets (none of us sat together because it was cheaper that way).  We grabbed some dinner at the little cafe before the show started.  It had free wifi.  So nice.  We made our way back to the theater and took our seats and started the show.  It was awesome.  Even though this was the 4th time I had seen it, it was still completely worth it.  I loved it.  At intermission Caryn and I decided we needed the special drink cups that lit up with our mocktail in it.  I also got some of Australia's version of whoppers to munch on.  After the show it was pretty late so we took the train back and headed for bed.  Great first day in Sydney!

No comments:

Post a Comment