Monday, August 20, 2012

We're goin to Jackson...

Yippy IO Candy...Western Charm
Okay, not that Jackson; in fact, no where near Mississippi.  This is Jackson Hole, Wyoming, home of everything cowboy and western.  I live about an hour and a half away from Jackson and I love day-trips up there.  The town is unique in so many ways.  The town square is its center and a high tourist attraction.  They have 4 elk antler archways into the square and is surrounded by shops and restaurants that are great to visit.  I'm going to highlight a few places that are a must-stop if you are ever in Jackson Hole.


  • Yippy IO Candy:  Yes!! This is a fantastic candy store.  You can get fudge, delectable chocolates, and lots and lots of sugary treats.  YUM.  Some of my favorites are the gummy cola bottles, wax lips (just because you haven't seen these in years), cry baby gum, and chocolate covered cinnamon bears.  Grab a bag and you pay by the weight.  It's not too bad on price either.  My bag usually costs around $5...not too bad for a trip down memory lane and a sugar rush.
  • The Lotus Cafe:  I know Rachel Ray did an episode of her show at The Bunnery, but this place is fantastic.  It's got healthy and non-healthy options to satisfy lots of different cravings.  Don't feel like you need to jump out of your comfort zone here, stick with what you know and what you know is going to be the 2 by 2 by 2 breakfast...you get two eggs how you like them, two toast slices with a yummy side of raspberry jam, two bacon slices (or sausage patties...get the bacon people), and the breakfast potatoes which make this meal not easily forgotten (I tried to recreate this breakfast at home at least 4 times with no success...good, but not the same).  The potatoes are grilled with rosemary and a few fennel seeds...they are divine...don't miss this a couple blocks west of the town square off the beaten path.
  • The Art Shops around the NW corner of the town square:  They have really nice paintings and photos of beautiful spots around the area.
  • The Movie Theater:  As far as I know there is only one.  If you can see an off-beat movie one night there it really is a treat.  The theater is older and I was fortunate enough to go one night and see Nick And Norah's Infinite Playlist with a couple really great friends.  We were almost alone in the theater and it just felt like real small-town charm.
  • Sweetwater Restaurant:  You must go for lunch though if you are there during warmer weather.  This is a 100 or so year old cabin turned local jewel of the restaurant category.  Yes, Rachel Ray also went here, but don't get what she got, get what I say...introducing the Elk Melt!!  When in Jackson, eat like it...get some game meat burger.  The first time I went here it was early fall and my friends and I sat on the deck and I felt I should get something light and healthy...gee I felt dumb when I saw the elk melt.  The next time, and every time after that, I have only gotten the elk melt.  Its a big hunk of ground elk burger with grilled onions and mushrooms on thick buttery toasted bread.  You get a side and I suggest one of their soups.  Usually in the summer they have chilled soups, I know that might be weird to some, but it's usually a fruit and it's so good...the peach vanilla soup was top-notch.  One time my friend and I went there and multiple people stopped our eating to ask what amazingness we got for lunch (they only serve this dish at lunch). Some were fortunate enough that they were just coming in and hadn't ordered yet, others were not so lucky and had to spend their meal with the feeling I have coined as lunch envy...it's not fun.  I had it the first time I went and others have it when they see the elk melt I'm downing. Try it, it's amazing and so Jackson Hole.

Elk Melt in the Fall
Elk Melt in the Summer with the Vanilla Peach Chilled Soup


All of my knowledge of Jackson will have to be just about the town for now, I know it's a world-class ski destination, but I don't ski...yes I do live in the wrong area.  Maybe this winter I'll have to change that.  We shall see how it goes, but know that Jackson Hole holds many rare qualities and is a puddle-jump away from Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone.

No comments:

Post a Comment